With Valentine’s Day less than a month away, many people are finding themselves in a panic! They want to make the day special for their loved one, but they’re not exactly sure how to do so. Look no further than San Diego, CA, which houses a vast selection of restaurants to choose from, but also boasts great activities for couples to enjoy in this romantic day. On a day where it’s somewhat expected to take your date to a nice restaurant, we guarantee that finding a table will be hard to come by, as the best spots will be packed and you may have to wait for hours to get your food. San Diego is a very romantic city and we would like to offer Valentine’s Day alternatives to the basic “going out to dinner.” The best part? Most of our date ideas are right in the Ocean Park Inn’s backyard. Enjoy your Valentine’s Day weekend at this great local boutique hotel, and pick a date idea located in the surrounding Pacific Beach area!
1. The Full Moon Drive In: The classic drive in is a rare find today, but we’re fortunate to have Full Moon Drive In just a few blocks from the hotel. This is the perfect date spot for couples that just want to relax and enjoy each other’s company. Grab some blankets, dress down for the evening and cuddle up to your significant other. If you’re hungry, turn your car’s interior light on and a staffer will stop by your car and take your order. During Valentine’s Day weekend the drive in will be playing all love-related features. Although the drive in won’t be open on Valentine’s Day, it will be open Feb. 15-17. For more information please visit http://www.fullmoondrivein.com/.
2. Bike Around the Bay: For the couples that want to avoid the crowds on Valentine’s Day and do something active, we suggest renting some bikes and taking a ride around Mission Bay. Make a date out of it by grabbing some food and blankets and having a picnic on the shore. There are so many great places to eat in Pacific Beach, but we guarantee they will be packed for Valentine’s Day. Plan ahead by making your meal or ordering take out, and bring it with you to the bay. Here are a few of our favorite eateries in the area that are known for large crowds, but offer great take-out options:
-Rocky’s Crown Pub: Known for some of the best burgers in San Diego! Rocky’s is located in Crown Pointe, so it’s on the way to some great bike trails on the bay. We promise you won’t be disappointed with these burgers. http://www.rockyburgers.com/
-Pacific Beach Fish Shop: You haven’t had a fish sandwich until you’ve tried one from Fish Shop. Everything is fresh and there is usually a seasonal fish on the menu. http://www.thefishshoppb.com/
-Rubicon Deli: Located in Mission Beach, Rubicon Deli has some of the best sandwiches in San Diego. The sandwiches are huge and they are made with fresh baked bread, so this is a great food choice if you’ve worked up an appetite from bike riding. http://therubicondeli.com/
3. At Home Wine Tasting: If you and your date just want to stay in for the night, have a private wine tasting event at home. Open up a bottle or two of wines that you’ve wanted to try–perhaps from local Southern Californian wineries?–put together a cheese and meat platter and indulge. You’ll avoid the large crowds, probably save some money and have a better opportunity to talk one on one with your significant other!
4. Learn Something New: With the beach only steps from Ocean Park Inn, there are unlimited activities in our backyard. Spend Valentine’s Day trying something that both you and your date have never experienced. There are surf lessons, paddleboard lessons and even sailing lessons available year-round.
5. A Romantic Getaway at Ocean Park Inn: We’re offering some great Valentine’s Day specials at OPI. Extend Valentine’s Day throughout the weekend and stay with us. If you book our Valentine’s Day Package we’ll throw in a beautiful ocean front room and dinner for two on us. Dinner includes a $50 Firehouse gift card and in-room chocolates. With a great view of the Pacific, readily available room service and that special someone to keep you company, you have the option to lounge, relax and stay in all weekend! For more information on our Valentine’s Day Package visit http://www.oceanparkinn.com/hotel-specials-san-diego.html.